Data Centre Migration
Data Centre Migration / Relocation is a complex, long running project with several phases. Checklists help to reduce the risk that important details are missed.
- Defining requirements for new data centre
- Selecting location
- Building or selecting and renting a new data centre including all required infrastructure
- Getting new data centre connected
Data Centre Infrastructure
- Racks, Cabling
Servers / Applications / Data
- Complete Inventory that needs to be moved
- Measures to prevent theft of
- backup tapes, espcially with customer- or employee data: Just very recently (September 2013) one stolen backup tape leaked to a leading newspaper and brought a large consumer oriented company for several days into front-page headlines and main evening TV-news.
- Plan the outage
- Move servers and storage
- Connect servers and storage
- Resume operations
The following check lists don't cover the complete process, but they are very detailed on their specific topics within the complete data centre relocation process:
- Use this template to create those lists you really need!
- List all Servers and Applications and map what's running where.
- No software to install - a simple spreadsheet which fits the purpose.
Start now - the longer you wait, the more cumbersome the collection later!
This template with in-depth explanations of tasks required to plan outages on medium to large IT Systems will avoid that important steps are forgotten.