|Overview||Audience||Deliverables||Table of Contents||Purchase|
IT Server Upgrade / Migration Checklist
Summary and Scope
This checklist for IT Server Upgrade will help you to avoid that an important item is forgotten.
This vendor- and operating system independent checklist deals with "big picture" and helps to evaluate all potential impact of upgrading a server, e.g.
- adding CPU's
- replacing CPU's with faster CPU's
- Operating System Upgrade
- adding Storage
- replacing a server with a newer, bigger model
A few examples:
- The newer, faster CPU's require a new version of the operating system - triggering a chain of compatibility-checks of application software and tools.
- More CPU's or any other hardware change might result in license issues and hardware based license keys might prevent your application to start.
- Clustered or even Disaster-Recovery (DR) protected solutions and external storage increase the complexity.
- - Be prepared for more surprise!
Of course we can't guarantee that this checklist is 100% complete - but this checklist definitely helps to avoid the most common pitfalls.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Question: Does this checklist replace the server upgrade checklist provided by my hardware vendor?
Answer: Definitely not! But this checklist covers extensively areas impacted by an server upgrade which are too often neglected.