Phase :: Achieving Operational Readiness
- Are you sure that after a fast startup you know which application connects where ?
- And even worse - which testing environment created by copying the production system still connects to other production systems?
- Use this template to document and check your application interfaces
- You will realize that that needs some effort
- You will realize that some incidents would not have happend if...
- - and we are sure that you will immediately rank for new systems the operations manual as important mandatory deliverable of the project!
Of course you do know that an Operations Manual is mandatory part of the delivery, but you might be surprised about the required effort to create a really comprehensive Operations Manual!
Note: When purchasing a commercial packaged application, the vendor's manuals will not cover all aspects of operating the integrated application!
Using this template the customer will understand you estimations of mandays and costs for this deliverable!
Reading this checklist at the very beginning of the project will reveal a lot of steps which otherwise might be forgotten in the time- and budget estimation! This simple checklist with 101 items targets small and new companies with IT-department on a low maturity level and should bridge the time until change management and release management are fully implemented according best practice.
No matter if you are selecting a software package or if you planning custom development, the requirements must be defined in both cases.
(And don't even think about the additional delay...)
More than 150 requirement for availability, reliability, manageability, Backup and Recovery, resuming crashed jobs, configuration requirements, archiving / restore....
Requirements-Checklist and Template for Application Interfaces. It's quite sure that the new application needs to be integrated with existing applications, and that might be a MAJOR part of the project!
Service Level Management is one process of service delivery. In this phase the Service Level Manager will contact you and present you a huge Service Catalogue and Service Levels for the Services offered.
This document is not for the DBA, it's primary for YOU, the project manager as YOU need to budget and order those services which are appropriate for your project.